Higuey

history and religious devotion

 
 
     
     
 
pilgrimage of devotees of the Virgin Nuestra Señora de Altagracia
 
     
Higuey is located in the south-east region of the Dominican Republic, in La Romana province, 32 miles from La Romana city and 34 miles from Punta Cana. The city (the largest in the area), with pretty houses (las casitas) in typical Dominican architecture, was founded in 1494 by Juan de Esquivel, conqueror of Jamaica, and enlarged between 1502 and 1508 by captain Juan Ponce de Leon.
 
las casitas

Higuey is the most important place of pilgrimage for the devotees of the Virgin Nuestra Señora de Altagracia, patron of the island.

   
Virgin Nuestra Señora de Altagracia
Here, every year, January 21, thousands of pilgrims arrive from all over to visit the Santuario de Nuestra Senora de Altagracia, for participate to the suggestive mass. The basilica contains the most largest carillon in the continent..
 
   
mass
     
Photo gallery