hotels index guide nightlife restaurants beach
 
 
 
Santo Domingo Colonial City
a dive into history, Spanish charm - video
 
Alcazar de Colón in Plaza de España
 
aerial view of the Colonial City
 
     

Flying over, Santo Domingo (more than two million inhabitants), is revealed in all its extension. Fifty districts make it a huge maze in which impossible to orient without knowing the city well.

There are two cities distinct: the new, immense, with large avenues, roads full of traffic, skyscrapers, magnificent villas surrounded by gardens, surrounded by a periphery of slums, and the Colonial City, infinitely more small faces on the Ozama River, with picturesque streets, narrow cobbled streets, colorful houses that do not exceed two floors, patios, sumptuous palaces Spanish, ambience of yesteryear.

Do not miss an evening stroll in the Colonial City on which colonial street lamps cast pools of golden light, starting from the cathedral, passing Calle Las Damas and coming out in front of the Alcazar Colon, one of the old houses that have seen Columbus, Velasquez, and Cortez.

The main artery of the Colonial City is called El Conde. Over a kilometer pedestrian promenade closed to traffic.

     
 
El Conde of the Colonial City (pedestrian-only)

 

 
     
The visit of the Colonial City can start from the Parque Colon, and the Cathedral Square, the center of the Colonial Zone.
     
 
the Parque Colón and the Catedral Metropolitana y Primada de America de Santa Maria La Menor
 
     
In in the center of the square there is the monumento to Christopher Columbus, and behind the Santa Maria La Menor Cathedral, the first of the New World, begined in 1521 and finished in 1585, one of Santo Domingo symbol monuments.
     
 
 
the monument to Christopher Columbus
the monument to Christopher Columbus
 
front view of the Catedral Metropolitana y Primada de America
 
 
side view of the Catedral Metropolitana y Primada de America
 
inside the Catedral Metropolitana y Primada de America
     
     

On the north side of the square, in front of the statue of Christopher Columbus, The Hard Rock Cafe (video), a mixture of old and new with a design inspired by the voyage of Columbus to the New World.

Will welcome an impressive array of photo galleries of rock star. Not only avant-garde cuisine and drink lads, even the excellent burger with fries do their part with a good beer at a price that does not scare anyone.

The Hard Rock is the place more 'IN where to have fun in the capital, with the most' beautiful youth of Santo Domingo and high class clients around the world.

     
     
     
     
At the end of Billini street there is Las Damas street, in Colombo's times walk street of noblewomen, damsels, unmarried young girls in search for husband, governors and conquerors, to enjoy Ozama river evening breeze. Today there is the maximum concentration of monuments.
     
 
 
Calle Las Damas
 
Calle Las Damas
 
     
On the right, along Ozama river, the Fortress and the Homage Tower (19 meters high), builded in 1507 by Nicolas Ovando governor.
     
     
 
Fortaleza (Fortress)
 
Fortaleza
 
Torre del Homenaje (Homage Tower )
 
Torre del Homenaje
 
 
the guns of the Fortress
 
the guns of the Fortress
 
     
Later on, the Rodrigo Bastida House (1505), Colombia governor, the Nicolas Ovando House (today hotel), one of the most ancient of Santo Domingo, the Davila House (1505-1506), Nuestra Senora de los Remedios Chapel (1550), and the Reloj del Sol (1753), one of the latest extant sundials all over the world.
     
 
 
The Bastida House
 
The Bastida House: inner garden
 
The Nicolas Ovando House
     
 
the Davila House
 
Nuestra Senora de los Remedios Chapel
 
Reloj del Sol
 
     
On opposite side, the Francia House, where lived Hernan Cortez, Messico conqueror, The Jesuits House (1502), the National Pantheon (1714-1748), where are buried the most illustrious men of the latest 150 years, the Captains Generals Palace with the Royal House Museum, with tapestries, antique furnitures, maps, tools, armours, coins, indios finds.
     
 
 
The Francia House
 
the Jesuits House
Panteón Nacional de los Heroes Dominicanos
 
Captains Generals Palace
 
 
Captains Generals Palace
 
Royal House Museum
 
     

At the end of Las Damas street, next the gate of S. Diego, there is the impressive Plaza de Espana, with the Alcazar de Colon (1509-1512), seat of Spanish court beyond the sea from 1512 to 1524.

     
 
Alcazar de Colón in Plaza de España
 
Alcazar de Colón
 
 
east patio
west patio
     
 
reception room
room of Doña María de Toledo wife of Don Diego Colon
     
     
Behind the Alcazar, Las Atarazanas, a group of eight buildings (1507), once seat of customs offices, artisan stores, dealers and workshops, today a complex of charming restaurants, boutique and art galleries.
     
 
 
Las Atarazanas
 
Las Atarazanas
 
 
     
Other monuments are scattered everywhere. In Gabino Puello street Santa Barbara Church (1555-1569), in Emiliano Tejera street the Cordon House (1502) of Saint Francisco monastic order, that was the first stone building of the New World. In Isabela la Catolica street, the Native House of Juan Pablo Duarte, founding father, that today is a museum.
     
 
 
the Cordon House
 
the Native House of Juan Pablo Duarte
 
     

In Hostos street Saint Francisco Monastery, the most ancient of the New World. Crossing with Luperon street the ruins of Saint Nicola of Bari Hospital, the first of the New World.

In Las Mercedes street Las Mercedes Monastery (1555), where was accomodated Tirso de Molina, that writed <<Don Juan burglar of Siviglia>>.

In Arzobispo Nouel street Carmen Church. In Padre Billini street Dominican Monastery (1510), seat in 1538 of Saint Thomas of Acquino University, with Faculty of Philosophy, Theology, Law and Medicine. Still in Billini street the Chaper of the Third Order (1759) and Reina Angelorum Convent (1552).

     
 
 
Saint Nicola of Bari
 
Las Mercedes
 
 
Carmen Church
 
Chaper of the Third Order
 
 
Dominican Monastery
 
Dominican Monastery
 
     
From the Gate of Mercy, at the end of Arzobispo Portes, begined in 1844 the rebellion against the Haitians. Finally, in Arzobispo Merino street two importan buildings, the Gorion House (1540), where in 1544 was founded Santo Domingo University, and the the Coins House (1540), the ancient mint, with a wonderful portal.
     
 
 
Gate of Mercy
 
Gorion College
 
smoking a Vuelta Abajo?
 
Two old maps of Hispaniola and Santo Domingo
 
Hard Rock Cafe Santo Domingo
 

 

 

hotels index guide nightlife restaurants beach